Sunday, February 8, 2009

Personal Radio Communications Update

Right off here's a shout out to KD5NJR for commenting on one of my earlier blog entries. Thanks, and do comment often. The rest of you that read this blog, by ALL means feel free to comment here; I'd love to hear from you. You can also email me direct at wr1tx@wr1tx.net
if you choose; I'll be glad to hear from one and all.

Well, here's the latest update on my personal radio communications upgrading:

I have just installed my Comet SBB-7 2m/70cm antenna to use as my mobile Radio Shack scanner antenna for now. No ham gear in the car yet but at least I can monitor things. The mount is a magnetic mount that is pretty sturdy and will work well until the ham gear goes in. After that I will work on getting a permanent mount for the scanner and continue to monitor the public service stuff like I have always tried to do.

I am also updating what I will be monitoring. I'll keep my Bell County stuff in place, but I will be moving just about everything else I have stored, as well as adding things. Once it's all said and done, I should be able to monitor reasonably well the following counties wherever I go: Bell, Bosque, Coryell, Falls, Hamilton, Lampasas, Somervell, Erath, Hill, Limestone, McLennan, and Johnson. The jury is still out on adding Comanche, Hood and Mills counties. In addition to the Bell County EDACS system that I have already in memory, I will add the Waco/McLennan trunked system and the part of the ETBC ambulance system that covers McLennan County and the immediate area. I will also have to move things around on my scanner but I had already planned to do that anyhow. Things that will get moved include the ham frequencies (but I will also add some), the railroads (also adding a few frequencies), the FRS and the MURS stuff.

As far as the mobile ham gear is concerned, all is a go for now to get the gear installed later this month. I drove to Austin yesterday to pick up two trunk lip mounts, one with an NMO base and the other a 3/8 x 24 base. While I was there I took a really good look at the hamstick antennas that were there. I didn't see the ones from the Lakeview Company but I did look at the Hustler series with the resonators and such. They look to add a bit of weight and load to the trunk mounts ultimately so I have decided to seriously consider the Workman single band sticks. They are reasonably priced, about $20 each per band for 6 meters down through 40 except for 75 meters which is near $25. Quick disconnect tools are available at a reasonable price also. I noticed that these antennas seem to sell pretty quickly, so I figure there must be something to them. I do plan to buy an MFJ mobile HF tuner (I already have a 6 meter tuner I can use if I need to) to go with this setup once I buy the antennas.

With all of this done in my 2001 Chevy Malibu I will have the mobile operating capability I will need and I will finally fulfill a dream to be able to operate in this manner. I can continue my storm spotting and do it the way I want to. Furthermore, the station will be set up for a quick disconnect if needed so I can operate portable in a matter of minutes. Of course I will eventually set up a base station like I used to have but with my personal living situation the way it is it just isn't possible.

And of course, now I need to order some new QSL cards that will show me operating portable or mobile. I haven't given out anything from Bosque County yet but it looks like that beginning in March I will be able to do that.

Stay tuned...

WR1TX

No comments: