Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Dream is Almost Reality...

Well, gang...I am closer to realizing a dream that I have had for years. If you remember, in the past I had mentioned that I would love to operate mobile or portable from 80 meters through 70 cm in multiple modes. Next weekend I will have taken a major step toward making that a reality.

Next weekend I will be travelling to Magnolia, Texas to visit my long-time friend Randy Friesenhahn, KA5IIA. He has a bunch of stuff for me as a belated Christmas present that we will be installing in the car, including a trunk lip mount that will go with the two I have purchased in Austin last weekend. I still have my Comet SBB-7 dual-band antenna that I am currently using as a scanner antenna (it works great, by the way!) but will switch its usage over to 2m/70cm for my Yaesu FT-8800R permenently. When I have a few more bucks in place, especially when my income tax refund comes in, I will purchase another dual-band antenna, a good mobile scanner antenna, and a wide series of hamstick antennas that will range from 6 meters all the way down to 75/80 meters. In time I will look for loop antennas like the M2 series and set those up in a mobile configuration but this will happen just yet. But also, Randy and I have been friends for 32 years and it's going to be great visiting him over the weekend. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

After that is done, I will begin to look for Yagi or quad antennas for the following bands: 6, 2, and 70 cm. This will be for any possible activity that might come up later on. For 2 and 70 cm, I will need at least 5-7 elements for each band. For 6, 2-3 elements should do fine.

Another thing I will be working on (and only AFTER the mobile installation is complete) is selling my ICOM T90A tri-band HT along with the batteries, rapid charger and cigarette lighter charger I have to go with the radio. The box and manual will go with the gear. The only thing wrong with the radio AT ALL is where a screw attaches a clip mount to a belt loop. The screw got lost and I tried to put another one on it but the hole has now gotten a bit larger and no screw stays in place now. This is a cosmetic issue only (and only in one very small spot on the back of the radio) and the functionality of the HT itself is great!

Why am I selling the T90A? I want to buy the new Yaesu VX-8R HT. It's a very cool radio that has a bunch of features and will do lots for me in the field. The VX-8R is a quad band radio with the following bands: 6m, 2m, 440, and 222. It will run 5 watts on 6, 2, and 440 FM, 1.5 watts on 222 FM, and 1 watt on 6m AM. That's right; I said 6m AM. Just another opportunity to operate where others don't usually go and to have more capability to operate where and when needed.

This major upgrade in equipment is really needed so I can continue to do what I love and that is ham radio. I can provide a major public service capability that a lot of others can't or won't do, and I can operate in ways that I have always wanted to try. Awards for example include handing out counties for USA-CA. There are several counties close by that aren't usually activated. I can do this on the County Hunters Net or during the Texas QSO Party or just about anywhere. WAS and DXCC can be had a little easier because there is more of a tendency for DX stations or far-flung states to answer you if you give your call and say that you're mobile or portable.

Once it's all said and done, I will be able to operate using SSB, FM, and AM on a wide variety of bands. I even plan to but a cheap straight key and add velcro straps to it and connect it to my thigh and operate CW mobile as I drive to and from work each day (44 miles from Valley Mills to Temple), or elsewhere.

Storm spotting will be better for me as well, since I will have a dual-band radio in the car and I will also have my police scanner going to I can keep up with what is happening wherever I'm at.

All in all, I will have the (almost) complete mobile package in place. By the end of March I should be able to have everything together and on the air. I can't wait!!!

Stay tuned...

WR1TX

No comments: