Friday, April 25, 2008

Resignation

Well, I've decided to do it. I'm resigning from all positions I have held within the Temple Amateur Radio Club, and it's high time I woke up to do it...and here is the main reason why I decided to do this:

THE CLUB HAS FAILED ITS MEMBERSHIP.

Now I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for it by some people, but the general membership has already said they are not happy with the current state of affairs by not attending the meetings, by not enthusiastically volunteering to participate in club activities, and by not running for club positions. Why? The club isn't giving the members what they need; they're being fed the same old bull time after time after time. yes, there has been promises to start doing different things, to provide real topics of interest for programs at meetings, and so on. The result has been the same: it just doesn't happen. This is really true; several long-time members have told me this, that they are not happy.

The biggest issue is still the animosity shown by some club officials toward others, and when someone comes up with a novel idea it gets shot down. Here's something else: For TARC's Ham Expo, I received offers from members of two other clubs to help with the gates, with no request for a slice of the monetary pie in return. They just wanted to help, that's all. What do a few people within the TARC Board of Directors do? They slam me. They are worried that these clubs will start requesting a share of that pie, even though they don't want that. I have told a high-ranking member of a nearby club this, and he agrees with me, knowing TARC's past for it truly is.

So what is a club secretary to do, one who really cares (or cared) how his club is doing and how it is perceived by others? Get out while he still has his dignity, that's what.

Now please don't get me wrong here: I am not slamming the club itself. TARC has a very long and rich history. The club helped me get my ham license and I have participated in many events that I was personally fulfilled by being involved with them. I worked a lot of Field Days, parades, and emergency situations with the club. But the club itself has not collectively kept up with the changes that have appeared on the Amateur Radio landscape, and that's due to certain practices and thought processes that the organization refuses to change or expounge. The club's board of directors is who sets the tone for the membership, and it hasn't set much of one, nor has it followed through on what it has said it would do for the last several years.

It's time for me to move on.

So what am I going to do now? I have already received offers from 3 or 4 clubs, including a new club in Williamson County has seems to show a lot of promise and progress. I've talked to this club's president, and he understands. He's told me to come aboard, and I will likely do so.

Now with Field Day coming on, I have a decision to make. I plan to participate, but I'm not sure how just yet. Likely I will operate from my little balcony station at my apartment, and that will be easier now since I purchased a good Drake low-pass filter at Ham Expo for $10. These things are a classic, and still fetch around $30-35 at dealers. I could operate at 30 meters and above without getting into the AC lines, but on 40 and 80 I would see the TV interference. If I operate from home, I plan to use mostly CW, but in some clear spots I intend to use a little SSB. But if a club offers an opportunity for me to get on board with them, I may do that also.

To wrap it up here, I'm saying goodbye to the Temple Amateur Radio Club. I'm saying this to the organization, but not the members themselves because I have a lot of friends in the club. They just haven't been going to the meetings, and they are frustrated.

I hope the TARC Board of Directors will pay attention now...

WR1TX

No comments: